Monday, July 30, 2012

How to Add PDFs!!!!

It was a very exciting day when I actually figured out how to add PDFs to my school blog. I have no idea why it took me so long to figure it out, but once I did it, it was super easy.  My coworker Angie was a great help too (thanks Angie).
The first thing I would suggest doing is to convert any file would like to share to a PDF.  You could keep things in word, but some computers (like my beloved mac) don't have word and when I tried to upload something in Publisher, it also wouldn't work.  Plus the PDF looks much nicer than a working file anyway.  That of course is just my humble all-knowing opinion.

After you have your file ready this is all you'll need to do:

Click on "Drive".  You will see this whenever you are signed in to Google.  I can see it at the top of this post I'm typing since Blogger goes through Google.
Note to WL teachers and perhaps teachers in other districts: You can NOT share files to non-WL people so if you want this for your parents or other teachers you will need to use (or create) a new google account.  If you started this blog recently, chances are you are using a gmail account so you should be just fine. 

Once you click on drive you will see the picture (above) on the left side of your screen.  Click the upload button.  It will then let you choose what file you would like to upload.  For the purpose of this blog, I uploaded PDFs of something I put on my other blog.  When you upload a file, you can click on the name of that file and you will see that your file now has a http: (Internet) address. You will use that address to link your PDF to your blog. 
***See my other post about "Links" by clicking HERE if you forgot how to do them.***


There is one more step that you MUST do if you'd like others to be able to view your file.  You will need to make it PUBLIC.  Google docs automatically will make your files private (the lock is shut). To change this click on the blue share button (shown above).

You will need to change who has access to your file by clicking Change (above).

Then click on "Public on the web".
SAVE!
NOW your file is public and can be viewed by anyone so you can link it to your blogs!
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment