Sunday, July 29, 2012

Adding Pages

When I had a website for my classroom, I had a page for each content area, which turned out to be too much.  When I started out my classroom blog, I wrote about all of my content in a weekly review which worked for me, but I still wanted another page for things like my weekly schedule, important things (like snack information) for my parents to be able to reference, etc.  One way to do this is by creating pages.

You can create different standing pages for your blog and add to them when you want.  You can also keep them (and turn them off for the summer) if necessary.  For example, I have a Conference Time page for parents but I turn it off after conferences because it is no longer necessary.  You can set up pages in two places at the top of your blog, like this:
Or you can set them up so they go down the side of your page (like where you would add your gadgets... etc), like this:

It's up to you where you put your pages, and is an easy thing (again) to change should you decide you want a different look later.

The first thing you will need to do is go to your dashboard and click on the clipboard (refer to earlier posts if  you don't remember where this is). When you look at your choices, you should see the word "Pages" and click on it.

I am going to show you how to add one page, but if you add more you will do the same thing that I am showing you.  Click on New Page and then "Blank Page".  

Once you do that, you will be taken to a new page that looks exactly like the page you use when you are writing a blog.  The only difference is instead of having a title post, you will have a box at the top that says, "Page Title".


 You will just type the information you want to include on your standing page. On the right side you will see some orange lettering that says, "Page Settings".  I don't do anything with this, but if you'd like you can turn off the comments on this page.  Since I am adding a page about favorite widgets, I am leaving it open to comment.  If you find some great widgets you love, please feel free to comment on that page so others can share.  

One thing I have learned about teaching is that everything is shared and borrowed and tweaked to make it your own.


As I mentioned before, you can choose where your pages are set up.  To do that, go back to pages (after you have "published" your new page just as you would a blog post).  On that page it will say, "Show Pages as" click on the box next to it and you will see a drop down menu where you can choose top tabs or side links.  Again this is just a personal preference and something you can change at any time.

GOOD LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment